Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Common and Proper Nounshttps://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

I This is a busy week here at school.  We have our Veteran's Day program tomorrow so we have practice today and there's not a lot of teaching time right now. 


However, my 1st grade ELs have started common and proper nouns.  Monday, we reviewed what a noun is and what singular and plural meant.  Then we moved into common and proper.  I was standing normally and I told them I was just common.  A lot of people stood that way.  Then, I stood very straight and tall.  I told them I was being proper, like a queen, and a queen was VERY important.  Just like a queen, some nouns are very important and their first letter needs to stand tall and straight (capital). 


Then we did a sort.  We used this one from Mrs. Wheeler's Store.  The kids loved that my name was in it and that Sponge Bob was in it.  ha!


Next we read Pete the Cat. 




 We talked about how Pete the Cat wasn't a common cat.  He was important because he had a name and everyone knew him.  Then we looked at a regular cat.  I showed them several pictures of  cats and told them they had to point to the correct cat.  Of course they didn't know which one.  Then I told them they didn't know because they were all common and there was no way to know which cat I wanted.  Then I told them to point to Pete the Cat.  I told them they knew him because he was special and had a capital letter. 

Next we made these sentence strips that hang in the room.   




We used some words from the story and we made up our own. 


The next day, we watched a PowerPoint


Noun Game


 I got from http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Noun-Game-202400. 


Then, we completed this in our interactive notebooks.  You can get your own copy at my TPT Store. 






No comments:

Post a Comment