Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Nouns and Verbshttps://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

My 1st grade ELs have been learning about nouns and verbs. For nouns, we just read the book Bugs, Bugs, Bugs! by Bob Barner.  Then we made a chart listing all of the nouns we could see inside.  We also did a noun sort with pictures and they worked in pairs to complete a magazine noun hunt.

Here is the book.  It is a cute little book and it's full of nouns.  You can purchase it through Amazon but I think I got mine through Scholastic.
 
 
Then, verbs came along.  Verbs can be scary things but luckily 1st graders like action!  I introduced verbs by having them to jump. hop, skip, run, clap, tap, spin, etc.  When we finished that I told them those were actions and the fancy school word for actions is VERB! 

We read Silly Sally by Audrey Wood.  The kids LOVED it.  They thought Sally was so silly and they began helping me read as it repeated itself a lot.

You can purchase Silly Sally here. Amazon
 
 Next we looked back through all of the pages and we made this anchor chart with her silly verbs on it.  It hangs in the room to help them.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Lastly, before we started adjectives, we worked in groups to cut out nouns.  We made a chart for those. This part was easy.  Next, we made a chart for verbs.  I was concerned they wouldn't understand but after I gave them a few examples, they were able to cut out a picture and tell me a verb that went with it. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment