Saturday, September 6, 2014

Word Workhttps://sites.google.com/site/mayuradocs/PinIt.png

With my new job, I only see kids for 1 hour at a time.  So, I don't have time for Daily 5 and full blown centers.  My district has purchased Imagine Learning (here is the link if you're interested)  http://www.imaginelearning.com

It is an amazing computer program for all students but especially for ELs, preproduction and beginners.  They have to be on it for 30 minutes a day.  I just don't have time, so I have decided they will do computer for 15 and word work for about 15 minutes every other day.

Here is my word work station.  I have taken many ideas from others and will link them in and give full credit.

My students LOVE, LOVE, LOVE centers.  They don't care if they're on the computer or it they're working with magnets.  They just don't realize they are learning.


My word work station



 Build that word station.  I have mostly first grade so we are really working on CVC words right now.  I made these word work pages.  The students use magnets to build the words.  The original idea came from Caitlin at Kindergarten Smiles  I modified it a bit so my ELs are just copying the words.  Eventually, I will just have the pictures as Caitlin does.  



This is my ZAP game.  I got this idea from the card game Zap It.   I modified it to popsicle sticks.  I have seen this a lot on Pinterest so it's nothing new.  Not my original idea.
The kids take turns drawing out a stick.  If she can read the stick, she keeps it, if not, it goes back in.  If she draws "zap", she has to put all of her words back in and start again.

I put the new word lists in a bucket every week.  I leave the old ones and add too these every week.




Hidden Words...this is not my original idea.  It came from First Grade Adventures.  Here is the link to here blog and this post.  She has her hidden word worksheets for free at her TPT store.
Check her out!



Again, play dough words aren't anything new but Marisa, over at First Grade Glitter and Giggles made this recording sheet and she has it free at her TPT store.  Thanks Marisa!



Stamp IT worksheet.  The kids get to stamp their words of the week.  They LOVE this one.  I made this recording sheet.  You can get it at my TPT Store.  

My preproduction and beginner 1st graders NEED practice with their letters.  So this one is simple.  Laminate and trace with EXPO marker. (These were given to me by a teacher 10 years ago, I do not know where they came from).


Then, what do I do when I'm finished????  
I used the I can spell cards from Caitlin, over at Kindergarten Smiles  

So that's it for centers this year.  Short and easy to monitor!

No comments:

Post a Comment